P117 - DERBY BLUE-GROUND VASE
Painted with Ceres to the front, the reverse with birds perched and flying among branches, the scroll handles with applied floral terminals
(Hairline and small restored section at rim, cover lacking)
8 in. (20.3) high
Cleo M. and G. Ryland Scott Jr., Antique Porcelain Digest, Newport, England, 1961, pp. 164-165, fig. 50.
On display in the Scott-Allen Collection at The High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia from 1976 until 1996
On display as in the “George Ryland Scott Collection” in The Memphis Brooks Museum of Art from June 1955 until May 1960.
NOTES BY CLEO M. AND G. RYLAND SCOTT, JR in the late 1950’s
This English factory (Longton Hall) was started by William Littler in 1752 or earlier. It closed in 1758 and became a part of the Darby factory. Theses vases are typical of the finest work of the factory (for complete data see Honey, p. 140-141). The dark blue put on in a streaky manner is characteristic. The translucency is green with large moons. The mulberry color as shown in the mantle of the woman was not used by any other factory.
Traditionally given to Longton Hall, vases of this type have been, since the 1970s, re-attributed to Derby. For an illustration of a similar vase, see Peter Bradley, Derby Porcelain, p. 100, where an extensive list of other literature is given. A garniture of three vases with landscape panels was sold in Sotheby‟s, New York, May 5, 1977, lot 26. A further garniture of three vases painted with panels of large classical figures is in the Lady Ludlow Collection, now in the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, Co. Durham, and is illustrated by Hayden, Old English Porcelain, pl. 124, no. 271.