1953 Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder The Cultivated Collector, New Canaan, Connecticut
In October 1952 the first Ferrari 250 MM was displayed at the Paris Auto Salon. It was derived from the one-off Ferrari 250 S, which had won the Mille Miglia earlier that year. This 250 MM (0260MM) is one of two First Series Spyders built by Vignale, and the only one still with its original coachwork. It was delivered to its first owner, Phil Hill, in March 1953, and then was shown by Luigi Chinetti at the New York International Motor Sport Show in April. Later the same month, Hill entered the Ferrari in the Del Monte Trophy race at Pebble Beach, where he finished in first place. He continued to compete with the car, achieving additional victories during the 1953 season. In the hands of later owners, the car continued to be raced until the end of 1957. For the last 60 years, the car has been cared for by a series of collectors in the United States. The current owner has restored it to its original specification.