1960 OSCA 750 S Morelli Sports Racer Bill Pope, Scottsdale, Arizona
This little OSCA 750 S was known as “The Giant Killer.” Just 18 OSCA 750 S models were constructed, and all were intended for the 750 cc class in endurance racing to compete against the similar Lotus 11s, Fiat-Abarths, and Moretti 750s. The factory first entered a 750 at the 1956 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the car continued to race with various successes in Europe and the United States up until 1960. This car (chassis 769) is one of four OSCA 750s with a clamshell body. It was built by the factory for its first owner, John “Jack” Gordon, and in its first race season, it placed twelfth overall and first in its class at the 1960 Sebring 12 Hours, driven by Gordon and John Bentley. During the next five seasons, the car was raced at Sebring three more times and then at almost all the SCCA race meetings in the Northeast and Midwest, finishing in the top three places in over 80 percent of those races. Later owners included Peter Wessel and Oliver Collins, the latter of which raced it in 25 vintage races. The car was restored in the 1980s, and its current owner bought it in 2014.