1955 Maserati A6GCS Frua Spyder Jonathan Feiber & Heather Buhr, Atherton, California
Maserati’s postwar racing models significantly improved business for the company during the early 1950s. The first 6-cylinder model, the A6, was enlarged from 1500 cc to 2-liters and given the name A6G, and then, in 1953, the engine was updated and tuned by Gioacchino Colombo, resulting in the more powerful 170-bhp A6GCS, where the CS stood for Corsa Sport. The new car also featured a new tubular chassis built by the engineering company Gilco in Milan. Between 1953 and 1955, just 52 of the A6GCS were built, and 48 were open spyders. This car (chassis 2077) was bodied by Carrozzeria Frua for the amateur Italian race driver Siro Sbraci in 1954, and it first raced in the 1955 Mille Miglia, where it finished in twelfth place overall and third in class. The car was imported into the United States and used for SCCS racing in the 1960s. After it retired, the car was purchased by Fred Simeone, who sold it to its current owner in 2001. The A6GCS has recently been restored to its condition and livery at the 1955 Mille Miglia.