P023 - MEISSEN PLATE FROM THE SWAN SERVICE
Circa 1737-1741, blue crossed swords mark, modeled by J. J. Kändler and J. F. Eberlein
The center finely molded with two swans and a heron among reeds and rushes, a heron in flight above, the spirally shell-molded border painted with Kakiemon flower-sprays and scattered flower-heads, the central coat of arms flanked by lion supporters and blue mantling within a shaped rim with gilt dentil ornament
9 in. (22.9 cm) diameter
Cleo M. and G. Ryland Scott Jr., Antique Porcelain Digest, Newport, England, 1961, p. 188, plate 44, fig. 184.
On display in the Scott-Allen Collection at The High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia from 1976 until 1996
On display in the “George Ryland Scott Collection” at The Memphis Brooks Museum of Art between June 1955 and May 1960
NOTES BY CLEO M. AND G. RYLAND SCOTT, JR in the late 1950’s
SWAN SERVICE _PLATE 1737-1741 We purchased this plate in 1950, from George Ware, Author of "German -and Austrian Porcelain." Count Bruhl was in charge of the factory after the death of Augustus the Strong in 1733, until 1756. He was a dandy and a great lover of porcelain. He had Kändler design and produce this service, comprising 1400 pieces, which with a few exceptions remained intact until the second World War. It is understood that most of it was destroyed. Each piece has the Coat of Arms of Count Bruhl. Our example is 9 inches in diameter and has the Coat of Arms placed to the right of the swans in the upright position. This is as it should be. The plate has a so-called "Potters" mark, incised in the por-celain. Zimmerman says such marks were not used after 1730.